Friday, May 26, 2017

Breastfeeding Journey round 2

Alright peeps, I wrote this blog post about my breastfeeding journey with Madeline. It was a very bumpy ride and of course I was hopeful that with my next one that I would be able to breastfeed. So here is my breastfeeding journey for round 2. If you haven't read the first one you can click on the link above and read it there.

With Hailey I was determined to breastfeed and get the hang of it. I was super worried because with Madeline, it was issue after issue that caused me not to breastfeed her. So with Hailey I was definitely skeptical that I could actually do it.


My breastfeeding journey was a rough one actually. From another blogger, I recently found out that hemorraging after birth causes your breast milk to be delayed when coming in. Which is why it took a few days for it to come through with Madeline and Hailey.


While I knew it was important to feed my baby I kept requesting the formula in the hospital so I could feed my baby since I knew it'd be a few days (from my experience with Madeline) for my milk to come in. However, the nurse was extremely rude and said "well, you know breast is best" I told her I know, but my baby is starving and I'm not going to keep frustrating her with no milk coming out when I could give her a bottle. To me, there was nothing wrong with formula, it helped my first baby and she thrived just fine with formula so I wasn't opposed. and I definitely wasn't happy with the nurse for putting her views on breastfeeding on me. Because FED is best.


Once my milk came in Hailey would not take my breast at all. It was so frustrating because the same thing happened with Madeline. So I immediately started with the nipple shield. I wasn't sure if it was because of lip tie that caused it, or if it was me. But I was definitely getting worried. But Hailey seemed to be taking the breastmilk just fine, where Madeline puked it up.

I didn't have an infection either this time around, which definitely helped with the adjustment.

I finally got the hang of breastfeeding but was discourage with the shield because I felt I would never be able to go out in public because how could I feed my baby with having to use a shield and then a burp cloth underneath to catch all the excess milk dripping from the shield. I seriously never wanted to leave the house.



Eventually though I started feeding Hailey before she got starving, because I attempted to feed her and get her to latch without the nipple shield, if she was starving she'd get so frustrated, but if I fed her before she was starving, she'd be patient enough to try without the shield. Eventually we got it so I could feed her in the day time without the shield and only needed to feed her with the shield at night feedings. 

Once she got the hang of day time feedings, we stopped using the shield altogether and it's been smooth sailing ever since. All in all the first 2 months of breastfeeding were rough. But after we got the hang of it, it's been pretty easy. 


When Hailey hit about 5 months she hated having something over her when I was feeding her in public. So I was definitely worried about feeding her in public. But I figured out that layering is your best friend, and bringing a small blanket to put over you, and around her, but her face helps hides things pretty good ;) And people don't really notice you're breastfeeding. I have never gotten anyone coming up to me saying anything nasty about me breastfeeding uncovered. If they did, I'd just politely thank them for their opinion and just keep feeding my baby. 

The issue though I have encountered is, my baby was exclusively breastfed after my milk came in and refused to take a bottle, to the point now where I am trying to wean her from breastfeeding (while she has 3 teeth coming through) that she will not take any milk, or sippy cup. I'm trying to only breastfeed her now before she naps and goes down for the night. 

(Maddie and I)

(Hailey and I)

Both of my kids are happy and healthy. One was formula fed, and the other is breastfed. But they both are thriving, and happy kids. While both my journeys haven't been easy and both ended differently I came to know that FED IS BEST. Don't let anyone shame you for your own journey. NO matter what you journey looks like, you know what's best for you child. 

Shoot me any messages you have! I'd love to help any future or current momma's on their own journey and help them find what's best for you and your child!! Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...