Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Stop comparing yourself, and just be yourself.

So for the last few weeks I've been trying to decide what I want to do with my social media stuff. It just makes me so frustrated how our lives revolve around social media. Have the most likes, have the most followers, or friends. for what?

There are quite a few people I follow that I don't even know. I think that they have a cute family and they are super popular, which is awesome for them! But if I start comparing this is what I start to think of

She must be prettier than me
she must be so much nicer than me.
What don't people like me?
My kids are cute too!

And then begins trying to have the picture perfect and only posting "the best" pictures online because we want people to follow us. People we don't even know. 

I remember reading about this Baby role play a few years ago, and people were taking other people's pictures of their kids and "role playing" with them. I periodically look up to see if there is more accounts to make sure my kids aren't on there. Because I don't want my child to one day get older and come to the realization that something I did caused them to be violated. 
It has been on my mind a lot. Why do I feel this need to have so many followers? Why do we all feel like we need to judge how awesome we are based on how many followers we have or how many likes we get. I think we feel like we have to try so hard to get people to like us, that it starts to make our self esteem go down when we aren't as popular, or cool, or whatever. 

I'd rather protect my children, and have them be safe than have more likes than other people. Because I'm not super popular, I don't have to worry about my children become targets on the internet or having hate pages from people who don't even know me. So that's a positive. ;) I also don't feel this insistent need to be perfect. I just can be myself, and that's good enough for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...