Thursday, September 4, 2014

My journey of losing the baby weight

This is a tough subject for me. I've always struggled with body image and how I look. Always.

See, when I was 13 I developed an eating disorder called anorexia. It's not just an eating disorder, it's a disease. It affects your mind, body and soul. You see yourself 10-15 pounds heavier than you really are. I've always seen myself like that. 

So I never knew what I looked like to the outside world until I see myself in pictures.

So when I look at pictures like this I could see all my problem areas I was going to have when it came time to lose the weight.


I lost 15 pounds in the 1 month I was breast feeding. I looked like this:


I didn't think I looked bad at all. But unfortunately since Madeline had a sensitive stomach I had to stop breastfeeding and therefore my weight got stuck where I was. But I didn't think I looked bad. But I still wanted to lose ALL of the baby weight. So I borrowed insanity from my brother in law and did it for a week and half. It got hard because it was like a 40-50 minute work out and Madeline always seemed to get so fussy about 20 minutes into the workout so I gave up. 


This was my picture of before I started insanity. I lost 5 pounds in the week and half and I didn't feel too bad about how I looked. I mean I lost 5 pounds!

Until I went to my cousins graduation and saw this picture: 

And I realized that I didn't lose as much weight as I thought I did... I was completely embarrassed. So I started my journey of working out religiously trying to lose the weight.

So this was the day I decided to start working out. 

I realized that I couldn't do hour workouts it just didn't work for me and my baby. I needed something fast and gave me results. So I went with Julian Michaels. Her work outs were about 20 minutes and they were resistance training instead of just cardio. And believe me I saw results! And I saw them fast! I have so much muscle in my legs now! So now that my pants don't fit in the legs it's not because I'm fat it's because I got a lot of muscle.

I also wanted to start running. This was week 2ish. But I kind of hated running. 


That's the whole point of working out. You have to find something that works for YOU! I saw that this girl who blogs over at He and I that lost the baby weight by doing insanity so that's why I wanted to try insanity. But it didn't work for me. So I gave up for a few months.

I wanted to start running because I knew people saw results fast that way. But again, it wasn't for me. I hated it, and also it was so HOT! 

That's why I went with Julian Michaels. It was slow enough that that I could play with Madeline while I was doing my work out and she wouldn't fuss so much. 

Finally 6 weeks from when I started, I realized I was starting to get comfortable with how I looked. I started noticing that little pudge almost disappeared completely.


I still have a little bit of pudge on my stomach and my sides I would love to lose, but I'm not ashamed of how I look anymore. Well not so much anymore. My one advice I would give you, is find something you love to do. Just get active, you don't have run, you don't have to do insanity, you don't have to Julian Michaels. 

Just get active, go for walks, dance, jump rope (one of my absolutely favorite workouts) swim, rollerskate, ride your bike, hiking. If the gym is your scene then go there! Just go out and do something!

You CAN lose the weight. Start today. One thing that also helps if you stop drinking soda. That's a good way to help you lose weight. Don't drink your calories. If you want a brownie eat a brownie, but don't indulge in 10 brownies. Just eat 1. 

Getting in shape shouldn't be a chore. If you love sweets just make sure you don't over eat them. If you love soda and just can't give it up, limit yourself to something smaller. Get out there an be active. Find a support system. Get friends to help you, family, your spouse, your kids. Track your results. Because if you don't take pictures like I did, you really won't notice that there is a difference. 

Another piece of advice, get away from the scale. I don't weigh myself anymore. Because muscle weighs more than fat, so you start to burn the fat but once you burn it you'll start gaining muscle. So take pictures and track it that way.
 
Because you'll definitely see the difference when you do!


I also never thought I would be able to wear my jeans I got in high school again. So I would try to put them on over and over again to see how close I got. The first time I did it was week 1 when I tried. I couldn't even get it over my big butt. I cried and cried and thought I would never wear them again. I put them on 2 days ago and I was able to button them and I fit them again!

Have a goal and track your results!

Every person is different. That's why you have to keep trying anyway that you can to find ways to lose the weight. Don't give up! Stay strong and good luck! I'm so glad that I finally found something that worked for me. You won't regret it I promise!


3 comments:

  1. It is such a struggle! It was hard putting on the weight when I was pregnant. I hated how much I was gaining and my husband had to constantly remind me that it was ok because I was growing a human. I am still struggling with feeling good in my skin post baby. You are absolutely right though - the scale does not help at all! I have lost all the weight, but it's thinking that I look good that I am struggling with! Good job, mama! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Courtney! I lose weight quickly because of breastfeeding, so I look pretty thin, but man oh man, I'm lacking in the muscle department! Maybe if I start posting on my blog, I'll be more motivated to get some muscle! Thanks for sharing!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...