Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What kind of parent will you be?

I wish I could say there was no wrong way or right way to parent but obviously there are wrong ways... 

But there are a lot of "right" ways to parent. And you might not agree with all the techniques and different tips of parenting. But it doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong. 

Now that were expecting our first child it seems like were getting a lot of advice on how to be parents to our child. It's nice to hear the different opinions but just because I disagree with your way of parenting doesn't mean YOUR way is the ONLY right way. 

As you look back on your life you think about all the things your parents did for you. You see the mistakes they made because like you they are new. And you can save your child from making those mistakes... but that also means your going to make entirely new mistakes. And have to learn as you go. Because these children don't come with parenting manuals.

There are some amazing parenting quotes that have really made think of what kind of parent do I want to be? And here they are.

Your child will follow your example. Not your advice.

The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.

 To be in your children's memories tomorrow, you must be in there lives today. 

Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it.

The greatest happiness is family happiness

Your children will become who you are, so be who you want them to be

If you don't learn to control your thoughts, you will never learn how to control your behavior

My parents taught me many things.

My mom always taught me to forgive. Even to this day she tells me I need to forgive. Even when the people don't deserve it. 

 My dad taught me dedication. He was always dedicated to his kids, he always came to as many games, performances, science fairs ect as he possibly could.

My mom taught me how to listen. Maybe that's why she's my best friend to this day. I always knew I could turn to her and she would never judge me.

My dad taught me how to have fun. Whether its dancing around at 7 o'clock on a Saturday morning to old country songs. Or coming in to our bedrooms at the crack of dawn with a pot and a wooden spoon yelling at the top of his lungs while marching around "I stole the pot, I stole the pot!"  to wake us up.

My mom taught me the importance of family. She taught me how important having a relationship with my brothers were. Family is suppose to be there for each other. And I watched slowly as the relationship with other family members dwindled and left. But she always made it a point to have us support each other and to always have each others back.

My dad taught me to be my best self. That no matter my circumstances that something good can always come from it.

My parents taught me unconditional love. No matter how big we screwed up they were always there for us helping us fix it. They never disowned us, never told us we weren't welcome. They always let us come home. And I'm grateful that they made it so we have a home to come home to.

My parents weren't perfect people. They had there moments just like all of us do. But they never gave up. I want to teach my children what my parents taught me. How to love, how to have fun, that family is important, dedication, forgiveness and how to listen.






"A home is not where you live, but where you love"
"A house is made of bricks and beams. A home is built with love and dreams"

Thanks mom and dad for teaching me how to be a a great parent and knowing that I can always come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...