Friday, July 19, 2013

Preparing for the Temple

Maybe I'm not qualified to tell all of you how to prepare for the temple. But I learned at a young age starting with my mom, then my young women leaders how to prepare yourself for the temple. Which was EXTREMELY helpful.

I get on facebook a ton! And that's because I work for an internet company and I'm bored out of my mind so I check it constantly to keep the sanity. But I've been noticing some... interesting things popping up on my news feed and I just thought that I would give some pointers I learned at an early age that I'm extremely grateful I learned when I was young.

When you go through the temple you put on these wonderful things called garments. And you make a covenant there that you will wear them all the time. Now, when I was little like 3-4 my mom quit letting me wear tank tops because she wanted me to understand how important modesty was and that you should always try to prepare yourself for the temple. When I got a little older and my friends were wearing tank tops it was hard for me not to just wear them.. but my mom and dad put there foot down.

I'm not saying that if you wear tank tops your a bad person. Because your not. But when you go through the temple and your entire wardrobe consists of tanktops or sleeveless shirts or short shorts or your entire back of a shirt is showing..  your going to struggle and have to buy an ENTIRE NEW WARDROBE. 

My mom didn't want that to happen to me so she only let me wear clothes that I could wear after I went through the temple. And I think I only had 2 shorts I couldn't wear after I went through and 1 shirt. For example:

These shorts went past my hands which by my parents standards were modest. But when I went through the temple they had to go.

These shorts that went all the way down to my knees... I can't wear them anymore because they are too short when I sit down with garments. So they had to go.

 
(not best quality but you get the idea) This is the only shirt I own that didn't work with garments. It's still modest it covered up my shoulders but it's too wide...

Everything else I owned were garment approved. But it's not just your clothes that should be modest. Everything about you should be modest. Your hairstyle, your make-up, your personality. 

Wearing 10 pounds of make up isn't exactly modest. I wear make up but it takes me about 5 minutes usually 10 minutes for special occasions to do my make up because I don't need to alter what I look like. You hairstyle shouldn't be extreme either. Sorry girls...

Here is something I found on lds.org:

"Modesty is an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If we are modest, we do not draw undue attention to ourselves. Instead, we seek to “glorify God in [our] body, and in [our] spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19)."
"Our clothing expresses who we are. It sends messages about us, and it influences the way we and others act. When we are well groomed and modestly dressed, we can invite the companionship of the Spirit and exercise a good influence on those around us.
Central to the command to be modest is an understanding of the sacred power of procreation, the ability to bring children into the world. This power is to be used only between husband and wife. Revealing and sexually suggestive clothing, which includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, and shirts that do not cover the stomach, can stimulate desires and actions that violate the Lord's law of chastity."

Being temple worthy is amazing and the church is amazing! I wish everyone could experience it. It's not an easy road getting there though. You have to fight Satan, you have to fight what society thinks is okay. But we as members of the church can show the world what true beauty is. Work hard now and prepare for the temple now not 5 years from now after you've had your "fun". Don't make mistakes you'll later have to end up in the bishops office for. I promise preparing for the temple will bring great blessings in your life. 


It is truly amazing... being married in the temple was the single most amazing thing in my life. I could not imagine being married anywhere else. And if I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a single thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...