Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Prejudice

Have you ever come across someone who just hated a certain group of people? Never actually gave the individual a chance but just hated them because they belonged to a certain group?

I have come across one of them recently. And it hurts. I've come across quite a few in my life and every time I do it makes me so sad.

This person that is prejudice is prejudice against Mormons. Now I know there are A LOT of people out there who hate Mormons. That usually happens because they misunderstand us or just determine to hate everyone and everything that deals with us, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

Especially when you work with this person and see them 5 times a week all day. When I first started working at Fibernet I loved it. I loved the people and it was so great! I kept trying and trying to get this person to like me or just be nice to me. I was so nice to this person, I even voted for them like 4 times for employee of the month! 

But I had an issue with another coworker and it masked what was going on with this other person. Now that the other coworker is gone I feel the sting of this one who isn't quite as harsh as the other one.

I've noticed that this person picks and chooses who they want to be friends with or be nice to. And I was sitting there yesterday just thinking about all the coworkers they invite to their house or to party with them, and it turns out, NONE of them are Mormons. 

I don't really care if you don't like a group of people but it doesn't give you the right to make people feel bad about themselves. 

This person isn't exactly rude to me the way my other coworker was. But here's a story about what this coworker did. My colleagues were talking about a movie, I had never seen it so I was asking what it was about, this other coworker wasn't even in our conversation was pretty much eavesdropping when she promptly said after I asked what it  was about "It's not a movie for someone like you Courtney!" and she said it in a really rude voice. Uh EXCUSE ME?! You are not my mother you don't tell me what movies I can and cannot watch. 

It's not like I was going to watch this movie but the fact that this person butted in and just purposely said it's not for someone like me, and said it rudely I was upset. I can't believe they would say that. It's not like I really would watch that movie, but I was trying to be polite since I was in the conversation and just ask you know what it was about. 

Another thing that kind of baffled me is that this coworker has not tried to get to know me. All they know is that I'm Mormon and I don't drink coffee when they make there weekly coffee runs. It's not fair to judge me when they make no means to get to know me. And when they ask me for favors and expects me to do it but yet will stand in front of my desk and talk to everyone over here but me. She refuses to include me in conversations. But yet wants to be in all of our conversations.

I don't ask for much. Okay maybe I do. But all I ask is for equality. There is a big thing right now about gay rights. But what about our rights? I just want to be treated equally. Just because my lifestyle is different than yours doesn't mean you have the right to treat me the way you do! (sound familiar?) That's all anyone wants is to be treated equally I don't care if you're homosexual, heterosexual, Mormon, non-Mormon, Baptist, Jewish, Man, Woman, if your Black, white, yellow or purple. EVERYONE deserves to be treated with respect and deserves to be treated equally.

I'm a Mormon. I'm proud of it. And your opinion of me is unjustly made. And before you make a judgement about me maybe you should get to know me and then decide to hate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...